So I'm a self professed movie snob and never really liked comedies. But after meeting my girlfriend and realizing that laughter is a key element in relationships I slowly became a fan of movies you like to call "comedies". So in the spirit of my other movie articles on helium I will now give you the Top Ten best comedies since the year 2000. (drum roll) Here they are in no particular order:
1) The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - My all-time favorite comedy director is now Mr. Wes Anderson. His movies are pure artwork and just the type of comedy I crave. This movie holds a special place in my heart cause it is in fact the movie I talked about when I first met my girlfriend. Anyways, I love watching this movie with its all star cast.
2) Nacho Libre - Some people hate this movie, some people love it. I'm one of those people who love it. I saw this movie while drinking a Magic Hat beer in the theater. Jack Black and his sidekick are hilarious. Not to be missed. If you think about it, it makes sense. A movie about a priest who moonlights as an amateur wrestler in Mexico is brilliant. Rumor on the street is this movie is loosely based on reality (not kidding).
3) The Royal Tenenbaums - Back to Wes Anderson again. A huge cast and brilliant dialouge. This movie was on cable the other day and I couldn't stop watching it even though it was like the 14th time I'd seen it. Luke Wilson is phenomenal in his role and I actually liked Ben Stiller in this film. Fun watch and to be extra fun you should watch this back-to-back with The Life Aquatic.
4) Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby - Will Farrel is another name I came to respect in comedies. Side splitting humor and decent race footage make this movie a smash hit. Sacha Cohen (Golden Globe winner in Borat) is great as Ricky Bobby's arch nemesis Jean Girard.
5) Clerks 2 - I admit it I was skeptical. Could Kevin Smith pull it off, a sequel to the greatest independent comedy of all-time. Pleasantly surprised I must say. It was like Kevin came back to his roots and actually made a good movie. Not that his others weren't good its just that this story was well written and directed. I'm not to sure what I'm getting at other than I loved this movie. Great stuff.
6) Shaun of the Dead - Holy crap, I haven't laughed this hard at a movie in a long time. Zombies and comedy who'd have thought it would be this magical masterpiece of a movie. I watched this twice in row cause I couldn't believe how well done it was.
7) Ghost World - Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson. Great movie about the oddities of growing up and what to do after school is done. Plus the guy in the convenience store with the cut off jean shorts and nun-chuks is awesome.
8) Super Troopers - These guys also did Beerfest. A movie about five Vermont state troopers. Watch this movie and know that they actually chugged all that maple syrup, that's right no special effects just straight chugging.
9) Team America: World Police - I can't believe I laughed so much at puppets. I was rolling in the movie theater. An added bonus is the kick ass theme song. If you haven't seen this flick watch it.
10) Wedding Crashers - Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson are just too funny. I loved this movie and couldn't stop the laughter if I tried. It seems every time Vince opens his mouth I anticipate laughing.
Well that's my top ten list and here's my usual disclaimer: I couldn't possibly have seen every movie from 2000 and on so I apologize if your top ten movie isn't there...
P.S. Jason X and AVP (aliens vs. predator) - OK these movies crack me up. I mean really Jason in space, c'mon. Watch them with friends and beer for an extra special night.